Recently the phrase “gave Himself” captivated me, concerning Jesus’ giving Himself for us. So I did a word search for the phrase and came up with the following points and verses.
Jesus gave Himself…
…for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age
- Gal 1:3-5 — Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. (NKJV)
…for me (He loved me and gave Himself for me)
- Gal 2:20-21 — I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. (NKJV)
…for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God
- Eph 5:1-2 — Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. (NKJV)
- Eph 5:2 — He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us… (NLT)
…for His Church, that He might sanctify and cleanse her and present her to Himself holy without blemish
- Eph 5:25-28 — Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. (NKJV)
- Eph 5:25-26 — …Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her… (NLT)
…a ransom for all, to purchase freedom for everyone
- 1 Tim 2:5-7 — For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, (NKJV)
- 1 Tim 2:6 — He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone. (NTL)
…for us, that He might redeem and purify us for Himself
- Titus 2:11-14 — For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, 12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. (NKJV)
- Titus 2:14 — 14 He gave his life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us his very own people… (NLT)
In conclusion, “God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16 NLT) And Jesus loved us so much that He gave up His life for us that we might have life in Him.
Have you given Him your life by trusting His finished work of salvation?